Thursday, February 24, 2005

Read Until

This past week, I have been reminded of a practice that I have known for some time, but never really grasped the full power of it until now. Evelyn Christenson, in her book, "Lord Change ME!" explains a simple concept called "Read Until." As I am reading through the scriptures daily, basically I "read until" I hear God speak. Then when I hear that still small whisper in my ear, I stop and ask God to show me what it is he wants me to understand. Then I listen in silence until I fully hear him. I pray and ask God to do that thing through me. I also like to write it down or underline it in my Bible as a reminder. This is yet another reason why I started this blog. I wanted to be able to write out what it is God is speaking to me about so that I can come back to it later, if necessary, and recall it. "I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go. I will guide you with my eye." Psalm 32:8

Today one thought the Lord brought to my mind over and over again, "Search me, oh God, and know my heart; test me, and know my thoughts; Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life." Psalm 139:23-24. In Romans 1 Paul talks about how the unbelievers were full of sin and totally under its power. (ie: wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip). The believers were astonished by this and remarked about what terrible people he had been talking about(vs. 2:1). He replies: "You are just as bad, and you have no excuse!" (2:1) The unbelievers excuse was that they were not followers of Jesus, and so they were fully given over to the flesh. They were walking just as they ought to for people who were walking in darkness. BUT, the believers were just as bad... and they had no excuse! They were no longer bound by the law. But they were still allowing the flesh to control their lives. And that is not acting at all the way they ought to.

I have been thinking about this passage all day as I desire to walk in the Spirit, not in the flesh. What does that mean for me-- literally? Then, Jesus brought Psalm 139: 23-24 to my mind: Search me, OH GOD!, and know my heart. Test me, and point out all my sins, so that I can walk with you along the path towards Heaven. So I have been praying that God would search my heart and show me where I need to be released from the grip the flesh has on me.

One of the things He is showing me is to MAKE time to REST. By resting, that doesn't always mean sleeping... but just slowing down and relaxing a little in the midst of the humdrum of the day. This may seem funny, that not resting is an area of sin??? Well, yep. It is. I love to stay busy. I love to have my plate piled and overflowing with projects and things to do, people to see, places to go. But this usually means that I am giving in to the flesh to make myself look good to others and to win God's approval. AND it also means that I have no time left for quality time with my Father. So, yeah... this not resting is sin! Today, I actually took 3 rests spending time with God in prayer, scripture reading, etc... Yes, one of those rests were spent catching a quick cat nap. It was really refreshing to walk in the Spirit today as I went about my life and chores at home. Finding and then Choosing Rest is such a drink of cool water as I walk along this path towards eternal life. All the trials, troubles, and even the mundane things I have to do, become so easy... so light, as I Keep My Eyes on Jesus all day everyday.

No comments: