Friday, January 19, 2007

It Is Well With My Soul, 3rd Stanza

The story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead has really struck a chord with me lately. Jesus was going about His Father's business when Martha rushes to beg him to go with her to Bethany to heal Lazarus. Jesus tells them that Lazarus' illness will not end in death and so he chooses to continue his ministry rather than go to Lazarus. His disciples are dumb-founded by this and question him. Here's what He tells them:

(John 11:4, 9-11 NLT) "Lazarus' sickness will not end in death. No it happened for the glory of God so that the Son of God will recieve glory from this. There are twelve hours of daylight every day. During the day people can walk safely. They can see because they have the light of this world. But at night there is danger of stumbling because they have no light. Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but now I will go and wake him up."

Ah-ha! Do you ever those moments? The "Ah-ha!" moments when you finally see something you've been searching for? Well this is one of them for me. God has taken something from me that causes me to ache in my soul. This Ah-ha moment answers the question "Why?" Take a look again at what Jesus said, "it happened for the glory of God, so that the Son of God will recieve glory from this."

If this incredibly special thing from God was not taken from me then I would continue to stumble around in the darkness looking to my own strength and power to accomplish many things. God had to take it away from me, to humble me. To show me that I was not walking in the Light. I was treading on dangerous ground and the enemy was lurking around the dumpster in the dark alley of life waiting to devour me!

I believe that someday this thing that God has removed from my life will be given back to me. Only this time, I must recieve it as a precious thing to be highly valued and guarded. This very special thing must only be used to bring honor and glory to the Lord Jesus Christ. When God has finished reconstructing my heart to be a little more like His, I am confident that this precious thing taken from me will be returned... just like Lazarus was given back to his sisters. Then, through this thing, I will experience the incredible joy that come from giving Jesus all the glory and praise!

My sin-- O, the bliss of this glorious thought,
my sin not in part but the whole,
is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more:
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

It Is Well With My Soul!

No comments: