Thursday, June 30, 2005

"Alone... just me and my Jesus"

The kids had gone to bed, Mike was with 2 of his friends for an LTG, and it was really late at night. So, all the lights in the house were out. I was alone, just me and my Jesus. I was not tired and was longing to spend some time with Him praising and singing and praying. I was drawn to my front proch where I sat and praised my Heavenly father through song-- I sang quietly so I didn't wake up the neighborhood. :-)

When I first sat down, I could feel a strong spiritual battle all around me, so I starting proclaiming the name of Jesus and commanding Satan and his army to flee. Afterall, we are God's army and all authority and power has been given to us through Christ Jesus to overcome spiritual darkness. That was it. The battle was over! I sat there on my porch praising Jesus' name and singing songs in praise to Him.

After a half hour or so, I felt the Spirit tell me it was time to go to bed. I wasn't tired, but the Spirit said, "You need your rest. Tomorrow you have a battle to fight." Whoa! Off to bed I immediately went. I slept really good last night, the first in a few weeks. This morning, the Spirit woke me up early and said, "Get up. It's time to put on your armor." End of sleep. I rose up, dressed, and was reminded not to forget the Helmut of Salvation.

My kids were still sleeping, my husband was already off to an early morning meeting, and there I sat on the sofa... alone, just me and my Jesus. He told me to go to John 8 and then Acts 15. So, I read till the Spirit stopped me. John 8:21-30 is where I stopped. As I read it, the Lord showed me another word picture of what life controlled by the Spirit looks like. In verse 28, Jesus tells the Jewish leaders, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man on the cross, then you will realize that I am he and that I DO NOTHING ON MY OWN, but I speak only what the Father taught me. And THE ONE WHO SENT ME IS WITH ME-- HE HAS NOT DESERTED ME. For I always to those things that are pleasing to him." What a beautiful picture! Jesus had the Father with him, too becuase he was not just God incarnate, but also FULLY MAN. He needed God! We are given this same gift. We are fully human, and God has put the Holy Spirit in each follower of Jesus.

to be continued...

No comments: