Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The List

"Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourself with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that come from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. Let the message about Christ, in all its richness fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father." Colossians 4:12-17

This passage is just HUGE! And clearly one that God is trying to work on in me. There is no way I can digest this whole segment in one sitting. So, today, I simply write the key words in the order they appear. It seems to me that these are the order in which God wants to teach them to me with some learning gained along the way.

God loves me
Holiness
Mercy
Kindness
Humility
Gentleness
Patience
Forgiveness
Love
Peace
Thankfulness
Wisdom
Praise

Hmmm... those key words look really familiar! The Fruits of the Spirit. Wow, do I have some learning to do!

Elton M. Roth, 1891-1951 wrote the words to this gospel hymn that seems to speaks to me today:

Down from His splendor in glory He came, into a world of woe;
took on Himself all my guilt and shame, why should He love me so?

I am unworthy to take of His grace, wonderful grace so free;
yet Jesus suffered and died in my place, e'en for a soul like me.

He is the fairest of thousands to me, His love is sweet and true;
wonderful beauty in Him I now see, more than I ever knew.

Chorus: How can I help but love Him, when He loved me so?
How can I help but love Him, when He loved me so?

1 comment:

Mike said...

He loves you...& I love you too.